Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My favorite time of day

...is when nursery school lets out (around 4). Today I was walking home and a group of kids (maybe age 3 or 4) all in matching green plaid uniforms saw me walking behind them. They stopped, turned and yelled out a long "HOOOOOW ARRRRRRE YOUUUUUU?" And then of course immediately began chanting it. They all ran full speed at me, I crouched down and squeezed two giant arms fulls of children. When I stood up, they grabbed my hands/me/each other and I walked with them down the street. I got some funny looks being one mzungu with about eight children draped on my arms. Some of the children broke off to walk home, and I ended up with one child on either side. I actually feel safer walking around with african children than anyone else. No one seems to mess with them, and usually leave me alone when I walk with them (although I cannot remember one day that I haven't been verbally harassed walking between home and work). And it felt good to accompany children home, under the pretense that maybe I am protecting them. We walked a good ways before I split off to go through the market to go home. Turned to wave goodbye only to realize they were turning around and going back the way we had came!!! I though I was walking them home but they were actually walking me.

alisa

No comments: