Sunday, July 6, 2008

walking into Kibera

I wanted to record my morning walk to work...

Usually after a quick cup of coffee, I walk down into Toi market. I pass along it's side, with vendors unloading their bags of goods to sell for the day. The further into the market you go, the fewer clothes and shoes and more vegetables and grains. Carefully avoiding puddles, rotting fruit, and garbage I walk through a small alley lined with tailors, barber shops and coal salespeople. The coal guys always say hello in a silly voice; I can't tell if he is making fun of us or is just really silly. Next is the large lady sitting in a big pile of greens, sorting and stacking. Then three tables with ladies selling dried minnows, with eyes still intact. You wouldn't have to see them to know they are their because the fishy smell is precise and poignant. Then are the few men who are sitting drinking tea who always ask us if I want to sit with them and have breakfast. I pass more shops, which open up to Kibera drive. After carefully crossing the road with raging matatus and buses, I walk up the hill past shoe salespeople, nic-nacks, and necessities. At the corner there is a music shop that blares load music (usually early 90s R&B) which always perks me up. I walk into Olympic, and the street is bustling with people preparing for the day. Kids are walking to school, shops opening, and people rebuilding structures with shiny new sheet metal. I arrive at the office, slap our security guard's (who we call 'soldier') hand, check on the chameleons that Blair saved which now live in our compound, and start the day.

No comments: