Sunday, June 22, 2008

June 12-20th

I have been pretty busy the last week so here is the run down ( I have some catching up to do):

Last Thursday I went with my boss Carol to Eastleigh which borders another major slum in Nairobi. We visited the youth center that she used to work at to compare it to CFK. It was very different from Kibera and reminded me more of New York projects. There were large murals on the walls, a pool table, gym, cyber center, and counseling center. Most of the facility was run down and when Carol asked about it they replied that funding had been weak the last few years and they just didn’t have the money to keep up there projects. So the ran a few, and put the others on the back burner.

Then Friday was a Braintrust meeting where directors of women’s orgs in Nairobi come together to learn from one another and discuss difficulties and successes. We talked about how to create good group dynamics among girls, how to facilitate teamwork, how to encourage talent, and several other side discussions. It was really wonderful to see such smart and talented female leaders coming together to improve the lives of girls all over Nairobi in different ways.

Saturday was my first Nubian wedding (to have its own post!)

Sunday We had a meeting for the Alumni girls in which we discussed the alumni program (where older girls mentor younger ones in their community). Everyone seemed to have a positive view of the program and wanted to continue mentoring. I really really think that mentoring is a priceless skill that creates a ripple effect of positive advice, trust, and guidance in any community, but it is particularly important among Kiberian women and girls. Sunday afternoon Binti had a community forum where the young girls invite their friends and neighbors to see what they have learned. Over 100 kids were crammed into our meeting hall! There were up to 4 kids in a given plastic chair. The Binti girls performed their skits and poems and also gave two lectures: one on banking, the other on sexuality. At the very end the crowd was begging to girls to perform one of their dances again. They ended up performing it 3 or 4 times. It turned into a dance off, and let me tell you, those girls can shake it. They move their hips like I have never seen! I eventually got dared by one of the Alumni girls to join in the dance off, handed her my fanta and jacket and the crowd pushed me to the front. When I started dancing all the little girls screamed! I looked like an idiot (and definitely did some grapevine) but they laughed and screamed so much it was totally worth it. Needless to say, I didn’t win the dance off :)

Sunday night, Blair and I treated ourselves to a local Italian restaurant and let me tell you, it was a piece of Heavan. African food is really good, but it was nice to have a taste of home (not that I am from italy or anything). We split a greek salad, ordered spinach and ricotta ravioli, both had two glasses of red wine, and split a tiramisu! The prices were fair, but it still added up to a pretty penny! Totally worth it though, Blair and I were giggling the whole time (mostly at the though of cheese, because there isn’t much in Kenya). We had a lovely time, and it was the most romantic dinner I have had with a woman in a while :)

Monday two professors from UNC came to visit CFK. They were both very pleasant and seemed engaged in CFK’s mission. I picked them up from their hotel with James, and we talked for about 30mins on the way to Kibera. Then were introduced them to the staff and sat down to talk more about what CFK does. They asked a lot of questions about our experiences as volunteers, which really forced us to solidify our feelings and thoughts and express them clearly. Having to talk about Kibera and describe how we have related to the community and what we have learned really helped me understand what I am actually doing and learning. It was refreshing. After the meeting we walked through Kibera which is always fun.

Tuesday Blair and I went to the post office to pick up some packages we had received (thanks to Gage and Walter!). Downtown Nairobi is far from glamorous; it is smoggy, people a pushy, and there is very little to look at other than plain buildings. Anyway, we trotted around downtown to get to the customs office to pick up our packages. When we got their, we got our packages and had to wait in line to have them inspected. The inspection was someone opening your personal items and filtering thought them to see if there is anything they can tax you on. After postal service in the US this felt like such an invasion of privacy! We had to wait in 3 or four more lines before we were allowed to leave. After an hour and a half, Blair and I were happy to have our boxes and left. We were so exhausted we went home and fell asleep!

Weds was our day off and we went to the giraffe center!!!!!!!! (to have its own post)

Saturday I went to another braintrust meeting, where there was facilitation for the girl group representatives on courtship and marriage. It was interesting, but several thing the (male) facilitator said I didn’t agree with. Much of courtship and marriage is ‘man-centered’ here; i.e. how to please a man, how to open up to a man, how to keep him interested etc. For anyone who knows me, this of course drove me crazy. There was also no room for homosexuality in any of the discussion. However, I understood that there were cultural differences, and so I sat and listened and took detailed notes about my secret frustrations:)

In the afternoon at Binti, I held my anonymous question and answer session. I told the girls to write questions for me about my experiences, sexuality, reproductive health etc. The girls wrote questions for me on small pieces of paper and put them in a bag and I answered them one by one aloud. I got a bunch of questions about if I was married, how many kids I had, where I was from, what my family was like, what was rape, what was homosexuality etc. It was fun and hopefully made them feel more comfortable asking me questions.

Phew that was a long one! I’ll try to stay on top of it more! Love you and miss you all! Email me a picture of what you are doing if you can! Ake6950@gmail.com

Alisa

No comments: