Thursday, June 26, 2008

Improv, National Park and Ambassador




So Sunday I had the first improv dance lesson with the girls. We did a flocking exercise which is when you move/dance around a room and pay attention to everyone around you. Then collectively without talking you decided to stop and look at someone. After any period of time, you decided when to move again as a group. The first two are looks, then a touch, then a weight share. It was difficult at first to get the girls to stop giggling and also to get folks to participate (many were clinging to the walls). I danced with them at first, but eveyone ended up copying what I did and looking to me for when to stop. So I stepped out and let them lead themselves. I was worried at first, because it just didn't seem to be working, some girls would stop, but others weren't paying attention and kept dancing. We decided to stop for the day, but then Carol came in and wanted to see. So I let the girls go one more time, and it worked! Hah I was so excited and it's kinda amazing to watch it when it works ( I have only ever danced it). Afterward I asked the girls what was hard, and what made the last time work better than the others. It's still a work in progress, but I am excited to see their skills develop.

Monday Blair, Yaniv, Cantar, Zubeda, Umi and I went to Nairobi National Park. We first went into the animal orphanage and saw many of the animals upclose. We were even allowed in the cheetah exhibit and got to pet a cheetah! (Let me tell you, I was terrified because all I have seen is national-geographic-style-killing-a-rhino-kinda-cheetahs). Umi (who is three) was super brave and wanted to come in the exhibit with us and she clung on for dear life while I petted a cat 3 times her size. I was impressed. Eventually (after some cost negotiation and a mini tantrum over a chocolate bar by Umi) we got into the park. We drove around for several hours and saw zebras, giraffes, antelope, wildbeests, waterbuffalo, and some unidentified others. We had a great time.

Yesterday Yaniv and I went to an open house at the US embassy to meet the US ambassador to Kenya. He was pretty cool, but a politician through and through. It was interesting to hear what the Kenyans were asking/talking about and what the ambassador thought about Kenya, Zimbabwe's current situation (and US non-intervention), Kibera etc.

Today we met with a safari guide to hopefully go to Masai Mara in late July to see the Great Migration, the Mara, Masai villages and more. It'll cost us, but we have been told it is totally worth is and something you can't leave Kenya without doing.

Because today is a Thurday, we have dinner at cantar's house! Chapti and Ndengu is on the menu. We are looking forward to it :)

much love,

alisa

No comments: